We are coming up on some very cold weather people! Thursday’s projected high is only around 2 degrees! With wind chills possible of around -20. Is your home ready for it?
Burst pipes, a problem all too common here in East Central Indiana, may seem like something you just have to put up with, but that’s not the case. Here are some easy fixes to make sure you don’t have a costly water damage this week.
- Turn up the heat! Now is not the time to be worrying about saving money on your heating bill. A lot of people turn their thermostats way down when they leave the house for the day. When the weather turns this cold however, you need to keep your home above at least 65 degrees.
- Open up the cabinet doors. Especially if some of your pipes run through outside walls, open the doors on your bathroom vanity cabinets, and the cabinet where your kitchen sink is. Allowing the warm air to get into these areas can help a great deal.
- Keep the water flowing. Just a small trickle of water flowing from your faucets can keep enough water moving through the pipes to prevent them from freezing.
- Make sure there are no hoses connected to your garden hose spigots. These can cause the pipe to burst, and make quite a mess in your basement or crawl space.
- Make sure you know where your main water supply shut-off is. In the case of a frozen pipe, you’ll need to know where to go to turn off the water.
Following these easy steps can help lower your chances of a frozen or burst pipe. Of course, sometimes accidents happen. When they do, Altra Dry will always be there to clean up the mess.